funsec mailing list archives

Re: Progress is inevitable

From: "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:05:59 -0700

David,

Thanks for sharing the links. I heard about Fully Homomorphic
Encryption few months back. This is exactly what Cloud Services like
Google Docs needs.

Right now, I use Google Docs for their excellent search capabilities.
But I can not store encrypted data on Google Docs, and make it
searchable without divulging the decryption keys. Which essentially
means that I have to be careful about what I upload to Google Docs.

So my updated equation is:
CC + HPH + FHE = Future of computing

CC=Cloud Computing
HPH=Host-Proof Hosting
FHE=Fully Homomorphic Encryption

Saqib

Some fun recent results that I can brag about on behalf of the Lab tell us
that it's in principle possible to do all SORTS of processing on encrypted
data, without decrypting it.  See
http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/27840.wss
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1536414.1536440