funsec mailing list archives

Re: Computer viruses slow African expansion

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:39:58 +0100 (BST)

It's something we discussed here a while back. The idea is, it's "Unix for
Grannies" (hence the name), and it's *very* malware resistant. It's a
Live-CD unix, and you use the HD only for storing data. The HD is mounted
non-execute. So, you can never add software.

The idea is that 99% of people only want to use a browser, a WP and a
picture/video viewer. And that 99.9% of people get all they need from a
linux distro. And most of the other 0.1% of people, who won't use grannix,
are savvy enough to be able to avoid getting infected or trojaned.

I had hoped that this list, or something like it, would create such a
distro, but it hasn't happened yet.