funsec mailing list archives

Re: All your database (and email) are belong to us ...

From: Jarrod Frates <jfrates.ml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:44:18 -0700

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah<rMslade () shaw ca> wrote:
Am I behind?  This seems appalling.

I first found mention of this in Randy Cassingham's "This is True" newsletter, but
it appears to be true.

The IT systems in the City of Los Angeles are antiquated.  Soution?  Move its
email and records, sensitive data such as arrest records, to Google.

Google says other cities are thinking of it, and Washington D.C. is doing it.

I'm not surprised.  It brings up the possibility of tremendous cost
savings in hardware, licenses, and staff (more job cuts), but there
are concerns over retention limits (which vary from one agency to
another), confidentiality, and liability for private information (such
as that covered by HIPAA) being leaked.  But for some, the cost
savings outweigh the potential downsides.
--
Jarrod Frates
GAWN, GCIH