funsec mailing list archives

Vanishingly small utility ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:06:46 -0800

This system has had some discussion in the forensics world over the past few days:

"Computers have made it virtually impossible to leave the past behind. College
Facebook posts or pictures can resurface during a job interview. A lost cell phone
can expose personal photos or text messages. A legal investigation can subpoena
the entire contents of a home or work computer. The University of Washington
has developed a way to make such information expire. After a set time period,
electronic communications such as e-mail, Facebook posts and chat messages
would automatically self-destruct, becoming irretrievable from all Web sites,
inboxes, outboxes, backup sites and home computers. Not even the sender could
retrieve them.

"The team of UW computer scientists developed a prototype system called
Vanish that can place a time limit on text uploaded to any Web service through a
Web browser.

[Perhaps a bit narrower focus than the original promise, but it is a prototype - rms]

"After a set time text written using Vanish will, in essence, self-destruct.  The
Vanish prototype washes away data using the natural turnover, called “churn,” on
large file-sharing systems known as peer-to-peer networks. For each message that
it sends, Vanish creates a secret key, which it never reveals to the user, and then
encrypts the message with that key. It then divides the key into dozens of pieces
and sprinkles those pieces on random computers that belong to worldwide file-
sharing networks. The file-sharing system constantly changes as computers join or
leave the network, meaning that over time parts of the key become permanently
inaccessible. Once enough key parts are lost, the original message can no longer be
deciphered."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090721113309.htm

http://vanish.cs.washington.edu/

http://vanish.cs.washington.edu/pubs/usenixsec09-geambasu.pdf

However, given the promise to clean up social networking sites, and as I started to
read the paper, an immediate problem occurred to me.  And, lo and hehold, the
authors admit it:

"We therefore focus our threat model and subsequent analyses on attackers who
wish to compromise data privacy. Two key properties of our threat model are:
1. Trusted data owners. Users with legitimate access to the same VDOs trust each
other.
2. Retroactive attacks on privacy. Attackers do not know which VDOs they wish
to access until after the VDOs expire.
The former aspect of the threat model is straightforward, and in fact is a shared
assumption with traditional encryption schemes: it would be impossible for our
system to protect against a user who chooses to leak or permanently preserve the
cleartext contents of a VDO-encapsulated file through out-of-band means. For
example, if Ann sends Carla a VDO-encapsulated email, Ann must trust Carla not
to print and store a hard-copy of the email in cleartext."

So, this system works perfectly.  If you only communicate with people you trust
(both in terms of intent, and competence), and who only use the system properly,
and never use any of the information in any program that is not part of the
system, it's completely secure.

How often have we heard that said?

The default to privacy aspect is interesting, and the automatic transparency for
the user as well, but this simply moves the problem one step back, as it were.  In
terms of utility to social networking, the social networks would have to be
completely rewritten to adher to the system, and even then it would be pretty
much impossible to ensure that nobody would have the ability to scrape data and
keep or publish it elsewhere.

(Plus, the data is still there, and so is Moore's Law ...)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
                                                - Ashleigh Brilliant
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/