funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hot new tech!

From: chris () blask org
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 7/25/09, Paul M Moriarty <pmm () igtc com> wrote:
[...]

Boston and The People Republic of Cambridge are separated
by a river, but worlds apart.  The media in their desire to make
hay try to lump them together.

There was a black police sergeant on the scene who backs up
Crowley 100%.  But I'm sure he's just an Uncle Tom tool of
whitey, right?

Most of the commentary I've seen sums it up about right: both parties could have handled it better.  The black sergeant
commented that if he had been the one to show up first he expects it would have not escalated - and that if it had he,
too, would have arrested the Doc.  IOW, the doc got his back up in part because it was a white cop in his house, and
the white cop could have recognized that himself and backed off.  There was a paucity of thought given by both folks to
the racial sensitivities of the other, and too much sensitivity to race in the entire situation.

I think there is an age component in this as well.  Folks over a certain age have lived in times when race was a more
often a more direct component of life than it is today, folks under a certain age haven't lived in that world.  I think
this line lies somewhere around fifty years old by today's reckoning, and these two folks were on either side of that
line.

But WTF do any of us really know about what happened in this one small situation, anyway.

-chris