funsec mailing list archives

Re: first fallacy of Internet solutions

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:53:09 -0400

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:32:31AM +0300, Gadi Evron wrote:
First fallacy of Internet solutions: getting everyone (or many) on the
Internet to agree to, or implement, something.

I'd argue that's second, and rephrase it (see below).  First is failure
to appreciate that we've already fought the battle for Internet security,
and lost miserably.

The rephrasing: failure to ask and think very hard about the answers to:

        1. What would happen if everyone did this?
        2. What would happen if nobody did this?

---Rsk