funsec mailing list archives

Well, I wrote a bleedin' dictionary for you ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:28:33 -0800

“We lost the cyber war over the last 15 years. Our computing environment is
already compromised,” and things are likely to get worse going forward because we
do not really understand security.  “We lack any meaningful metrics or measures
to say how secure a system is.”  It no longer is true that the best minds are on the
side of the hackers. The dark side of cyberspace has been co-opted by organized
crime, entrepreneurs of questionable integrity and, possibly, terrorists.  [Argh.
But, I suppose you have to add cyberterrorism to get anyone to listen, these days -
rms]  Much of the process of illegal hacking has been mechanized to the point
that it involves automation, not innovation.  Part of the problem was identified
by the U.S. Computer Emergency Readiness Team director. ”We lack a common
language for discussing many of the elements of security. We need to reinvent not
only how we do incident response, but how we talk about events,” the director said
at the symposium.

Source: http://homelandsecuritynewswire.com/single.php?id=8200

http://victoria.tc.ca/int-grps/books/techrev/bkdcinsc.rvw

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Like one who takes away a garment on a cold day, or like vinegar
poured on soda, is one who sings songs to a heavy heart. Prov. 25:20
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/