funsec mailing list archives

Re: Email patterns can predict impending doom

From: silky <michaelslists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:57:07 +1000

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Juha-Matti
Laurio<juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:
What Enron case can teach to us...

"Email logs can provide advance warning of an organisation reaching crisis point.
That's the tantalising suggestion to emerge from the pattern of messages exchanged by Enron employees.

After US energy giant Enron collapsed in December 2001, federal investigators obtained records of emails sent by
around 150 senior staff during the company's final 18 months.
The logs, which record 517,000 emails sent to around 15,000 employees,
provide a rare insight into how communication within an organisation changes during stressful times."
--clip--

So what though? Surely that's obvious.

Who can use this information anyway? Nobody. Only the admins of the
system, maybe, but for them it would already be more obvious given the
stress of the managers directly around them.

I mean it's not like email logs would be made public, even just raw
numbers, so that people can make judgements about the state of a
company. Why stop there anyway, why not track the text messages and
phone calls between them? That would surely be more indictative;
specially in these days when people may be slightly more conservative
with the emails they send. And then to be even more boring but still
web2.0, why not add in facebook messages and linkedin messages and
twitter dms? why not note down the activity, in general, on linked in
from the company. Surely you could expect it to go up senior people
start to desperately search for other places to go.

*shrug*

Pretty boring, obvious, useless research IMHO.

--
noon silky
http://lets.coozi.com.au/

"A quote that makes me seem smart, humble, and rationalises my actions."