funsec mailing list archives

Re: [inquiry] Internet/cell in Teheran down?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:02:12 -0400

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 05:16:31PM -0700, Steve Pirk wrote:
Npr (All things considered) is reporting that cell phones and Internet
access in at least Teheran if not all of Iran is down. Reporters are
unable to connect out.

Anyone hear of anything?

I've been following political developments there over the last 24-36 hours.
It appears that the election results weren't just stolen, they were entirely
fabricated: that is, nobody even bothered to count ballots, they just made
the numbers up.  The results of this completely-obvious fraud have been
what you might expect: protests, arrests, riots, disinformation, violent
clashes, cut-offs of telecommunications, etc.  I rather suspect we'll see
either (a) a pervasive totalitarian crackdown and imposition of martial
law combined with severe restrictions on telecom or (b) a revolution.

Maybe both.

---Rsk