funsec mailing list archives

Re: The trouble with Kevin, the Capital One customer

From: quispiam lepidus <quispiam.lepidus () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:03:48 +1000

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Larry Seltzer<larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
Now boo hoo hoo, my heart does bleed for poor Kevin, the Capital One
customer who can’t keep those messy marketing e-mails out of his inbox, but
established relationships with legitimate vendors are not the real spam
problem. It’s the other 99%of spam, the pharmaceutical pitches, the stuff in
Japanese, and the stuff like what I just got below: I guarantee you I’ve
never had any relationship with these people and I doubt they will even
respond to my unsubscribe e-mail.

This is why I think CAN-SPAM gets a bad rap. It’s not the provisions in the
law that are the problem, it’s the fact that there’s not enough resources to
enforce it, and that so many of the actors are beyond the reach of the law,

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine

larry_seltzer () ziffdavis com

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/

<snip>

The problem I find is that you attend an expo/conference/vendor
propaganda day and you end up getting spammed by every vendor who was
there, as you inadvertently agreed for the host to share your details
with "trusted third parties" simply by registering your attendence
(and maybe missing a little tick box hidden somewhere on the
registration). Next thing you know you're getting inundated with
offers from random vendors, I especially like the ones where they
offer to come in and teach me how to do my job better (obviously I
must suck at it). I made the mistake of attending a large computer
expo a few years ago, I have no attended since.

Maybe things are different this side of the world though?

Personally, I find it far less strenuous and stressful to just hit my
delete key. I've been trying to educate my users to do the same, so
far it's working out pretty well :)