funsec mailing list archives

IGP: ICANN Gets "Securitized"

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () hicks-net net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 07:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

I was busy renewing my domain names just now and spotted this:

 IGP: ICANN Gets "Securitized"

    * Apr 02, 2009 12:10 PM PDT

Milton Mueller posting on the Internet Governance Project today,
writes: "This is no April Fool's joke: here is a bill that is almost a
caricature of what the rest of the world fears about U.S. control of
the Internet DNS root and ICANN. Legislation unveiled today by Senate
Commerce Chairman John (Jay) Rockefeller and Sen. Olympia Snowe,
R-Maine, would require a Presidentially appointed cybersecurity
advisory panel to ensure that national security would not be
compromised before approving the renewal or modification of the
contract between the U.S. government and the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers. According to a summary of the bill, it
would 'make sure that ICANN does not succumb to foreign pressure' to
end its relationship with the U.S. government."

Read full story: http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2009/4/2/4141451.html

Other sources:  UPDATED Apr 02, 2009 2:54 PM PDT
Major Cybersecurity Bill Introduced In Senate - InformationWeek, Apr 2, 2009
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/technology/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216402498

Senate Legislation Would Federalize Cybersecurity - Washington Post, Apr 2, 2009
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/31/AR2009033103684.html?hpid=topnews

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
                                        | Direct:   408.569.7928

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson