funsec mailing list archives

Re: Mutually Assured DDoS

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 00:09:28 +0300

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:
Defense, on the modern mechanized air-land battlefield, is more about
channeling attackers, or choosing the ground on which engagements take
place, than the static "defense" of the Napoleonic and pre-blitzkrieg
wars.

That very definitely DOES have a parallel in cyberdefense.

Of course offense has a place in cyber space, just look at the Internet
today. But while deterrence strategies do have a use, MAD strategies are
technically pointless as your attacker can be a kid somewhere, and you
are likely to hurt yourself more if you go botnets rather than smart and
targeted.

And I disagree that offense, especially as a counterpunch, is something
that is off-limit to respectable actors. If I can detect and own a
botnet that is attacking me, and reverse it on its herders, I think that
is a highly respectable thing to do.

And that is not a "carpet bombing", is it now?

I spent so much time thinking, writing and lecturing on these things I
feel I should move fields.

        Gadi.

--
Gadi Evron,