funsec mailing list archives

Re: conficker "chatter" on twitter is heating up

From: "John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP" <bambenek.infosec () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 20:08:27 -0500

Think of twitter as an intel gathering tool... But more for teh stoopid. ;)

Damn internet ruins everything

On 4/1/09, David M Chess <chess () us ibm com> wrote:
Jon O.:

Uh, so I'm not so worried about conficker -- I'm a bit more worried
about the security experts (yes, you on this list) looking at twitter
to find out the latest info ;). Do you really think that's a useful
source?

Twitter isn't a place to get technical info, or data on what's happening
on the transport layers of the 'net, but it's a good (and very low-cost)
place to find out what a pretty big and miscellaneous (if not
randomly-selected) bunch of users are thinking and saying.  And that can
be valuable.  For instance if there was a sudden rush of mentions of a
free anti-conficker tool that turned out to actually be the conficker.D
installer...  :)

DC

--
Sent from my mobile device