funsec mailing list archives

Re: FTC files complaint against "BogusComputerScan Software" makers

From: Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:40:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 4/19/09, Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org> wrote:
but they [FTC] have yet to demonstrate the ability, even once,
to take *effective* action.

But isn't that a good thing? FTC regulates *trade*, not Internet traffic, and I would like to see it stay that way.

No matter how much we detest spam, it's part of the larger freedoms that make up the Internet. We can't get rid of spam
without sacrificing some of these freedoms. We can deal with spam ourselves. Indeed, it's government interference (such
as lawsuits against the likes of SpamHaus) that's in our way.