funsec mailing list archives

Re: Conficker botnet could flood Web with spam

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:01:26 -0400

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:26:26 +0300, Juha-Matti Laurio said:

"In just 12 hours, one bot alone sent out 42,298 spam messages,"

That's almost exactly 1 per second.  They either have a really shitty
SMTP implementation or they're trying to fly under the wire.  Meanwhile,
we try to send out that many e-mails *per minute* on a fairly regular basis
(Hey, the campus police want to send out an advisory, it better be out the
door in like 2 minutes after they hit "send" - we've been burnt on this before).