funsec mailing list archives

Leaked memo says Conficker pwns UK Parliament

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:44:48 +0300 (EEST)

"The House of Commons IT systems has reportedly been infected by the infamous Conficker superworm,
which has previously infected millions of Windows PCs and affected the operation of hospitals, military and large
corporate systems.

Political blog Dizzy Thinks first reported that a memo (below) sent out to parliamentary IT network users
on Tuesday night warned that Conficker had disrupted the operation of parliamentary systems."
--clip--

From the memo mentioned:

"We are unable to clean PCs and portable computers which are either not switched on or which are not authorised devices.
We therefore ask that if you are running a PC or portable computer not authorised to be on the Network that you take it
off immediately.

* An additional characteristic of this virus is that for some types of files it can skip direct to the Network
from a USB memory stick or other portable storage device (e.g. mp3 players) without hitting the virus checker software.
We ask that for the time being you do not use memory sticks or any other portable storage devices on the Parliamentary
Network."

More at
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/27/conficker_parliament_infection/

Juha-Matti