funsec mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] phishing attacks against ISPs (also with Google translations)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 02:35:30 +0100

M.B.Jr. wrote:
Dear Gadi,

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
While we have seen ISP phishing and Hebrew phishing before, these
attacks started when Google added translation into Hebrew.

How exactly did you establish such a certain connection between
Google's Hebrew translation service's debut and these phishing attacks
you're referring to?

If you're going to provide us with dates, please point out trustable
probative sources.

Dear Mr. M.B.Jr.,

While I cannot show conclusive evidence between the two concurrent
events, the causality in this case seems pretty obvious for the
following reasons:

        1. The two (phishing and translation module) occurred at around
        the same time frame.

        2. Previously, this was not happening.

        3. The imperfect Hebrew looks like a machine translation.

        4. In fact, the only new element I can discern being added to
        the game was the new Google module.

Google is not at fault, they provide a valuable and good service.
Criminals abuse the same tools we use.

I concede that it is not outside the realm of possibility some crappy
Hebrew translator suddenly started working with the phishing gangs, but
it doesn't seem likely.

Conversely, do note I did not state it was Google's translation engine
that was abused, but rather asked if others see this as well and can
confirm. I say it now, it is the most likely conclusion.

I'd be happy if someone has other ideas to help us reach a better
conclusion?

        Gadi.