funsec mailing list archives

Re: Behind The Estonia Cyber Attacks

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 02:24:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Paul Ferguson wrote:
Your claim of bullshit is not shared by others (including myself) who have
done extensive & exhaustive research on some of this stuff for several
years.

So if you're saying I'm bullshitting you, I will take that kind of
personal.

If you don't believe in organized crime, in association with corrupt
government, how do you explain some of these specific charges?

Klingons?

Come one, stop fucking around.

WTF?

Fergie, while I am willing to accept that my work on the Estonian conflict
for the past 2 years has been wrong, and that all the data I have seen I
read wrong... It is unlikely.

Most of the data available is based on my work. Most resulting research is
based on my work.

My research is more into how the attacks ran and what was done. I have
never hazzarded (beyond my KGB joke) a guess as to who attacked.

I always claimed that pointing fingers on who launched the attacks is not
possible from the technical data available. Specific proof will have to be
shown. My research indicates that while the attacks were obviously
organized, it is not possible to say if they were ad-hoc, or planned. Nor
who really launched them if they were launched.

My blog post shows some of these rummours and asks for decent proof under
which we can judge them. I ignored them thus far, but serious security
researchers such as Bruce Schneier actually believe the b/s about a
student doing it. Enough is enough.

Further, while I respect you and your work, generic Russian cyber crime
research is not necessarily relevant here.

That said, if you don't have specific proof to show me I am wrong but can
only embarass me in public with claims, AND then if your proof is not good
enough to not just be another "maybe" theory, I'd appreciate you taking a
very big step back, and apologizing.

Show me what you got.

Your personal attack is wearing on my nerves, and I don't deserve it,
especially from you. You have a lot of rope with me, but you nearly just
burned it.

As to Grey Goose. I am more than open to see any new evidence shown, but I
will judge it critically and neutrally.

I only know about his Gaza research. I have not been happy about him
calling Gaza a cyber-war, that's b/s. Further what he does quote about
Gaza is material I brought forward through certain communities and is
anecdotal.
That does not mean his other work is not relevant or well researched.

        Gadi.