funsec mailing list archives

Re: funsec idea

From: Mike Preston <mike () technomonk com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 22:36:50 +0000

I suppose one way would be to essentially take a leaf out of the p2p and
malware playbooks...

Indroducing "Fast-flux p2p downloads with signed and checksummed
packages" :P

Seriously though, a distributed directory with metadata with signatures
of the original provider available during searches could potentially
work somewhat.
Although, if the attacker has full control of the end point there is
little they really can't do and blocking any downloads they want is up
to them... however we can force them into the whole blacklisting arms
race against packages rather than into the blacklisting domains which is
somewhat easier which is what they quite often currently do.

I don't have all the answers myself and my gut feeling is to just secure
machines better (even if this ends up being a box with many sandboxes
with well defined secure communications paths between apps, kinda like
what vmware is aiming at atm) in the first place to stop 'evil-hacksaws'
getting on the systems in the first place.

Mike

RandallM wrote:
I agree Mike, hence my original post for some brain storming from some
of the smartest people on the planet who read FunSec!

    Message: 1