funsec mailing list archives

writing good and/or deceptive conference spam, and communication/manipulation diffs

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 19:36:27 -0600 (CST)

I just came across the following blog post, where the author discusses an
email he received, advertising a conference in a deceptively persuasive
fashion. I started this post as a short, informative email to a community
of SMOFS and ended up adjusting it to the subject matter I ended up with,
writing a blog post of my own.

While I use the "scarcity" "trick" myself, I make sure and use it only
when seats really are running out, and once at the beginning--Alerting
people to how many seats we have as they all already know we will run out
very quickly.

That of course refers to another "trick" the author mentions--social
proof. Looking back at my "spam" emails I don't abuse it beyond the
mentioning the seats available, in any advertisement. But I do make use of
it, I know people who go to the con enjoy themselves, and discuss it
amongst themselves and with their peers. I enjoy the back-lash email
bombardment of "I really wanted to make it" as it helps me help others
make it next time.

There is a downside to understanding persuasion. Our knowledge of it.

After being exposed to quite a bit of manipulation, especially in
corporate environments and around Washington DC, I became _aware_
(apologies for use of new age terminology) that it "exists". Later on I
was disturbed by finding out the same tools in my repertoire (or weapons
in my arsenal if you like) I've used in good communication are used in
manipulation as well. This made me think quite a bit if others, and
myself, are acting in a manipulative fashion.

The difference between communication and manipulation is tricky at best.
It is in Intent (of attacker) and Perspective (of victim), and we can add
a third category of examination, the X, or Asimov "Mule", factor--Specific
incident--which might change our normal understanding in specific odd-ball
cases. Both in the decent meaning of influence, in good communication, and
in the "evil" one, manipulation, noticing that I, or others, say or do
something which answers to one of these possible "tricks" of influence
immediately puts it under scrutiny of self-awareness (apologies for
new-agey term) if it makes use of any of these "tricks".

Robert Cialdini in his book "Influence: Psychology of Persuasion" takes a
part a sub-set of the world of influence and helpfully puts it into
clearly defined and named categories by the use of terminology. That, not
the text, is the greatest asset of the book.

He often mentions how all these tools of persuasion are really normal
tools humans use to avoid over-loading with needless, indeed countless,
decisions that spam our daily lives, and to make better decisions to boot
(everybody buys an iphone, it *must* be better! </cynicism> it sure is
cool, though). Knowing about how these work though, means the con artists,
sales people, etc. will use them against us.

But as people who run conventions and conferences, how do we both use, and
abuse, these "tricks" of influence? How can we make better use of them,
and avoid being deceptive?

Notice yourself using it in your advertisement? Feeling left out as you
are not a convention/conference manager? Have any anecdote from your
position.. or daily life?

You can view the discussed blog which inspired this post, here:
http://www.changingminds.org/blog/0902blog/090227blog.htm

This post can also be found on my blog for future reference and comments:
http://gadievron.blogspot.com/2009/03/deceptive-use-of-language-in-conference.html

Gadi Evron.