funsec mailing list archives

Re: Adobe 0-day in the wild

From: nick hatch <nicholas.hatch () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:46:34 -0800

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Juha-Matti Laurio <
juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:

It appears that the first Milw0rm PoC is surely related to JBIG2, US-CERT's
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/905281
points to Milw0rm's #8090.

Indeed. Shadowserver's 2009.2.21 post (
http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Calendar.20090221) confirms
this:

We knew it would not take too long -- the details of the vulnerable function
and enough information to potentially recreate the exploit have now been
published publicly. While we intentionally did not release these details,
they are out there now

In the same post, they speculate that this exploit has been in active use
since December or January. Matthew Watchinski, in a comment on Sourcefire's
VRT blog confirms this:

After re-scanning the zoo after the publishing of Exploit.DF-26,27,28
for ClamAv, the VRT located numerous samples dating as far back as
January 2009.

That being said, can anyone confirm that Adobe 7 is vulnerable? My personal
testing with the Milw0rm #8090 PoC seems to imply that its not. I get the
message, "Insufficient data for an image" and Reader doesn't crash. The
remainder of the PDF (minus the first page) displays just fine. However,
Adobe mentions 7 in their advisory. Perhaps its exploitable, but the
methodology is slightly different?

Checkfree was hacked in Dec '08 [1] (DNS redirect sending users to a
malicious site), and although it was not commonly reported in the press at
the time, I was told by a company rep that the redirect was to a malicious
PDF file. In hindsight, it seems that this might have been the same exploit
we're dealing with now.

-Nick

[1]
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/12/hackers_hijacked_large_e-bill.html?hpid=sec-tech