funsec mailing list archives

Trying to defraud *police* credit unions?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:13:03 -0800

OK, without knowing the details, this still, initially, strikes me as a really stupid
thing to do.  Even if you succeed, to begin with, you've got a lot of really capable
and motivated people after you ...

Police have arrested eight people in a two-month-long investigation of at least
$150,000 in credit card fraud against members of two police credit unions.  The
fraud ring, which involved seven employees of Chicago-area retail stores, hit 140
accounts at the Illinois State Police Credit Union and the Chicago Patrolmen’s
Credit Union, according to Illinois State Police.  The investigation involved state
police, the U.S. Secret Service, the Illinois Attorney General’s office, and the
Chicago Police Department.  Police did not identify the retail stores involved, but
corporate security for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., also assisted in the investigation.
[Oh, what a giveaway! - rms]  According to police, the ring involved seven
employees of retail stores who either bought merchandise fraudulently or helped
other people buy goods fraudulently.  Investigators began their probe after people
with accounts at the two credit unions found out someone was making fraudulent
purchases on their cards.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/arrests-in-credit-card-fraud-
against-police-credit-union-members.html

(On the other hand, it'd possibly be easier to do, initially.  Someone from law
enforcement once told me that cops are the easiest people to socially engineer,
because they belong to a very tight community, with a specialized jargon, and if
you "talk the talk," they automatically assume that you are "one of them ...")

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
        Don't bother to agree with me, I've already changed my mind.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/