funsec mailing list archives

Evil bit now official?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 12:37:09 -0800

RFC 3514 (http://rfc.dotsrc.org/rfc/rfc3514.html and other places) is one of the
"April Fools" RFCs.  It takes one of the unused bits in the IPv4 header and
suggests that it be used as an "evil" flag, so that we can know which packets to
drop at firewalls.

A few days ago I was looking at some vendor material and noticed that the "evil
bit" was identified in the IP header ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Every old idea will be proposed again with a different name and
a different presentation, regardless of whether it works.
                                                      - RFC 1925 #11
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/