funsec mailing list archives

Verizon plays fast and loose with the wrong 1, 200 e-mail addresses

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:40:07 +0300 (EEST)

Bcc, bcc, and bcc...

Mr. David Williams, technology coordinator for a Texas school district is being quoted in Network World article
referenced:

""Considering their content (about data-breach seminars), I thought it very humorous that the TO: field of the e-mails
contained over 1,200 e-mail addresses:
17 e-mails times 1,200 addresses equals more than 20,000 chances for leaks."

Williams did more than merely chuckle, though, he tried to be helpful by forwarding to the Verizon sender a pair of
links -- "Sins of The Internet: Not Using Bcc," and, "Use BCC field when addressing mass mail."

Wrote the miscreant in reply: "I apologize for the inconvenience and lapse in judgment by not using the BCC field.""
--clip--

More at
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/33767

Juha-Matti