funsec mailing list archives

Re: Report: 21M German Bank Account Details On Black Market

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:27:39 -0800

Methinks they are pricing a bit high. Even assuming that you could get
away with the maximum amount of fraud from all 21 million IDs, I doubt
you would see 570K Euros, on average, return per compromise. That isn't
even allowing for the risk premium or even a small profit.

I would put the FMV of this file at somewhere around 100 Euro per, or
1/5000th the asking price. That's assuming it's worth as much as a Yahoo
eyeball. Even that is pushing it, since there isn't much "recurring
revenue" in identity theft and bank account compromise. Either the
credit goes to hell in a handbasket quickly, or the ID gets flagged,
often both.

Not to say I'm advocating criminality, but it appears that the criminals
haven't caught up to the "mark to market" the rest of us are dealing
with.

Clearly sensationalism, as are most economic measures of "CyberCrime".