funsec mailing list archives

Re: Issue with Microsoft WindowsUpdate/MicrosoftUpdate

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 10:51:45 -0500

Just a quick OT question.  I can understand obfuscating malware
links in order to allow email filters to let messages through
(though we should have all whitelisted the mailing lists we are
on) and I can understand doing it to prevent the inadvertent brain
fail and unintentional click.

Why is it necessary to do so for Microsoft's update URLs?

For one simple reason: this is a public mailing list, I am a (somewhat)
untrusted sender, and I didn't want readers to think that I could be
(through html/javascript) redirecting them to
"update.microsoft.com.evil.web.site/v6/blah/blah/...".

Then again, anyone clicking on links from public mailing lists sent by
untrusted senders probably (hopefully??) already turned off
html/javascript in their e-mails already.

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland