funsec mailing list archives

Re: More than MSRA to worry about ...

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:49:21 -0500 (EST)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/7735502.stm
I asked Mikko at F-Secure.  He said it's a Mytob variant, but he
doesn't know why this incident was so serious.  Maybe it wasn't and
they're overreacting.

I hardly think overreacting is the word.  Some info-security heads need
to roll at that hospital, for (a) picking an OS that's vulnerable to
mass-distribution malware at all and (b) permitting connectivity of
patient-critical systems to anything they could catch malware from.
(Do I expect that any heads actially _will_ roll?  Heck no.)

The actual infection itself could be utterly trivial from a malware
severity perspective without affecting either of the above points.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org