funsec mailing list archives

Wired network compromised during the Google developer conference in Israel

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:18:20 +0200 (EET)

Aviram Jenik has a very rare incident to report:

"Calcalist reports
[source, Hebrew: http://www.calcalist.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3143244,00.html ]

that the wired network in a recent google developers conference in Israel was hacked during the conference.
I haven’t seen that report anywhere else, but the reporter Dora Kishinevski is fairly level headed with little tendency
for sensational stories so I’m marking it as probably true.

According to the article, google sent a follow up email to the participants and warned them the network was compromised.
This is interesting first because the attack was on the wired and not wireless Internet, which is considerably harder
to do without being caught,
and second because it reminds us how insecure gmail is over compromised lines (as opposed to, for example, a corporate
VPN)."
--clip--

More at
http://blogs.securiteam.com/?p=1157

The e-mail sent by Google is posted to comments:
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1157#comment-559898

Juha-Matti