funsec mailing list archives

A picture is worth a thousand locksmiths

From: "John LaCour" <john () johnlacour com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:04:39 -0500

UC San Diego computer scientists have built a software program that can
perform key duplication without having the key. Instead, the computer
scientists only need a photograph of the key.

"We built our key duplication software system to show people that their keys
are not inherently secret," said Stefan Savage, the computer science
professor from UC San Diego's Jacobs School of Engineering who led the
student-run project. "Perhaps this was once a reasonable assumption, but
advances in digital imaging and optics have made it easy to duplicate
someone's keys from a distance without them even noticing."

. more

http://www.physorg.com/news144519246.html