funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft to rush out emergency Windows patch today

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:56:50 -0400

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:50:23 EDT, Erik Harrison said:
seriously, why is this even a conversation? patch. its important. you
know why. the devils advocate angle really isn't something anyone
dealing with deploying this patch to reams of systems wants to hear
right now.

The devil's advocate angle is something that some of us really *do* want to
deal with.  If I'm about to push an "emergency" patch out to 30,000 desktops, I
*really* want to know *exactly* how big my actual attack surface really is, so
I can make an informed decision whether I should be pushing it out to all 30K
the instant I get it, or push it out immediately to the 10K hosts that don't
have mitigating factors X, Y, or Z in place, or let my internal regression
testing have another 24/48/weekend.

If Larry's machine is in fact suitably firewalled, he has the services turned
off, and he trusts any other machines on the "inside" of the firewalled net,
what *is* his attack surface?  For starters, where's the attack going to come
*from*?

(And I *wish* I was deciding whether to push it out to 30K desktops.  Instead,
I have 30,000 academia users, most of them laptops coming and going several
times a day. It's like herding frikking cats. ;)