funsec mailing list archives

Re: YASAFP

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:29:28 -0400

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:54:33 -0800, "Tomas L. Byrnes" said:
I know I'm replying to myself, but do all the bank robberies EVER, total
$700B?

The last statistics I remember seeing, the average bank robbery only nets
about $4K to $5K, and some 97% of the perpetrators are apprehended and
convicted, making the odds pretty bad indeed.  I believe Schneier makes a
comment in "Secrets and Lies" about "anybody who's brain isn't too addled by
drugs or alcohol to think straight will look for other ways to aquire money",
but I'm in my office and the book is at home...

Quite obviously, the people who's brains aren't addled go into management of
financial companies and other white-collar crime. ;)