funsec mailing list archives

Re: spam volume depends on the first letter of name

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:47:13 -0800

Date sent:              Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:41:43 -0700
From:                   Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>

Musta been a slow news day at the register, because this research
elicits the
biggest, "Well... DUH" Suppose its just concrete proof of the
bleedingly obvious.

I would tend to agree.  The "random run" harvesting will obviously start at the
beginning of the alphabet.  There are, however, some possible implications for
filtering.  For example, my wife's account gets an awful lot of the run-of-the-mill
drug spam, but almost no 419s or phish.  Her name is early in the alphabet.  My
name is later: I get the run of the mill stuff, but much more 419 and phish.  (Also
significantly more malware.)  So this might give us some indication of the types of
address lists that various types of spammers are using.

Not much, maybe, but every little bits helps ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
possession of a large fortune must be in want of a wife.
                - Jane Austen (1775-1817) Pride and Prejudice (1813)
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/