funsec mailing list archives

Re: FW: The 11 Worst Ideas in Security

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:32:03 -0400

Finally, the truth comes out:

11. Security Industry and Market Analysts (I am become analyst, the
destroyer of markets)

Those bastions of knowledge, defenders of the objective faith, and
creators of 2-page, in depth, market analysis reports. They don't
actually analyze security they analyze the security market, they say
cool things like "By the end of 2007, 75% of enterprises will be
infected with undetected, financially motivated, targeted malware that
evaded their traditional perimeter and host defenses." and come up with
amusing names and acronyms, (did you know that NBA - Network Behavior
Analysis - was at one time called NADS - Network Anomaly Detection
System - you can imagine the fun Gartner could of had with an overview
of the NADS market). I spent years as an analyst myself and I loved my
time, but I will always regret that analysts never actually test, demo,
or even interact with the technology they so confidently and assertively
write about.