funsec mailing list archives

Re: I suppose it is a fake thing or a misunderstanding :?

From: Julio Canto <jcanto () hispasec com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:05:43 +0200

Vitaly McLain escribió:
Julio Canto wrote:
http://www.gearlog.com/2008/06/new_texas_law_requires_pi_lice.php

"A recently passed law requires that Texas computer-repair technicians
have a private-investigator license, according to a story posted by a
Dallas-Fort Worth CW affiliate."

This is just a case of Slashdot and similar sites reporting something
with a misleading, sensationalist headline and their version of the
truth spreading. Read into it more and you'll realize it has little to
do with computer repair and more with computer forensics and other
investigative work. It certainly may have an impact on security
professionals who work in the state, but I don't think it's as
overreaching as the Internet makes it out to be.

It sounds indeed as something too stupid to be true. Probably anybody
able to read this whole thing...

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB02833F.htm

... without dying of legal-mumbo-junbo over-exposure could really know
what's going on :?

--
Regards,

Julio Canto | VirusTotal.com | Hispasec Sistemas Lab | Tlf:
+34.902.161.025 | Fax: +34.952.028.694 | PGP Key ID: EF618D2B |
jcanto () hispasec com