funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fedora confirms: Our servers were breached

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:25:38 -0400

Yes, the fact that Fedora isn't RHEL.

OK, thanks, I see that. Let me get something straight here:

... the intruder was able to sign a small number of OpenSSH packages
relating only to Red Hat Enterprise Linux...

So the suspicion is that the intruder inserted malicious code (or maybe
the Debian random number generator?) into the packages and signed them?

Is anyone else as appalled by this as I am? Has there been such a
compromise of a major OS before?

I also have to say that this is the first I've heard that RH and/or
Fedora sign their distribution packages. Is this common among Linux
distros?

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com