funsec mailing list archives

Re: E-Mail Hacking Case Could Redefine Online Privacy

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:36:17 -0800

Date sent:              Wed, 06 Aug 2008 18:44:51 -0700
From:                   Logan Browne <logan () trlrd com>

While the 9th Circuit has made some odd rulings, this really does
confuse me. I suspect that the judge had some very bad information
from technical advisers in making this decision, because the email was
clearly taken from a computer to which Anderson did not have
authorized access. Analogies to postal system or telephone system
aside, these were stolen goods that were sold.

Actually, thinking further about my phone/post analogy, I realized I was dealing in
historical terms.  With modern phone systems everything is digital, and even
there, the "conversation" is briefly "at rest" in some chip while on en route ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
My spirit is broken, my days are cut short, the grave awaits me.
Surely mockers surround me; my eyes must dwell on their
hostility.                                              - Job 17:1,2
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/