funsec mailing list archives

For those who, over the years, have wondered why I don't trust Skype ...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:29:15 -0800

Skype has declined to comment on an online report that alleges that Austrian
officials have no problem listening in on Skype calls, which are encrypted as a
standard part of Skype service. A Skype spokesman would not say whether Skype
keeps keys to decrypt calls. It is virtually impossible to figure out for sure from
independent research whether Skype keeps encryption keys or not, said the
chairman of the Voice Over IP Security Alliance and senior director of security
research at TippingPoint.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&tax
onomyName=security&articleId=9111661&taxonomyId=17&intsrc=kc_top

(If you want to check out some of the formal research, try
http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~salman/skype/ )

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I've found it!), but 'That's
funny...'                                             - Isaac Asimov
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/