funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sweet Irony: Metasploit Creator a Victim of His Own Creat ion

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:59:11 +0000 (UTC)

: >I didn't see the correction come across the list. Anyone who read this
: article and didn't have alarms going off in their head should load up on
: coffee or coke zero before reading the morning/evening news. =)
: >
: >Corrections:
: >http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/149136/dns_attack_writer_a_v
: >ictim_of_his_own_creation.html
: >
: >HD's response:
: >http://metasploit.com/blog/
:
: The "corrections" are so trivial as not affect the substance of the
: original story, and I agree with Paul Vixie (paraphrased):

The overall feel of the article isn't changed, and that is just pure
shitty journalism. While I have never had personal experience with
McMillan (that I can recall), it does echo sentiments I have heard from
several colleagues on his ability to write a proper article, understand
the technology being written about and generally not be a douche-bag. Many
of those colleagues refuse to deal with him or PCWorld due to bad pasts
with their journalists and editors.

The first line of the article still reads "HD Moore has been owned." which
is false. My reply to you was more to point out that the article is crap
and that PCWorld is *beginning* to fix some of the mistakes. Short of a
re-write, I doubt they will care beyond that limited correction, but it
does show they screwed up at least.

What surprises me is that his editor let this article fly without
demanding more from McMillan. Posting an article saying a security
researcher or company 'got owned' and not clarifying the technical aspects
is pretty libelous I think. While I doubt McMillan did it with any
malicious intent, I think that pure ignorance is no justification for such
reporting. McMillan should have been obligated to understand the DNS issue
or at least find an un-biased 3rd party to explain it to him, so he could
better cover this story. I guess rushing to sensational headlines trumps
good old fashioned journalist ethics.

If I wrote an article as poorly as this one, suggesting that PCWorld
ethics were compromised at a high level and didn't explain what I meant
(or burried it with a poorly worded description at the bottom of the
article), I am sure i'd be getting a mail from their lawyers.