funsec mailing list archives

Re: Stop The 70% Lie

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:32:53 -0400

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:14:52 EDT, "Young, Keith" said:

There is no FBI research to support the "70% Lie". Probably
never has been and never will be.  No one can cite the "original
research" because it doesn't exist.  It is myth.  It is urban legend.

And how do you expect the FBI to produce data on their research of
active/closed criminal intrusions?

What data do YOU have to counterpoint the 70% statistic?

I think Verizon Business's recent report (based on over 500 actual data breach
incidents) is fairly credible.  I'd certainly believe that insiders racked up
70% or more of the financial loss, even if they aren't 70% of the incidents.

The executive summary:

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/about/news/displaynews.xml?newsid=25135&mode=vzlong&lang=en&width=530

87% would have been preventable via reasonable security measures.
75% were discovered by a third party, not the victims.
66% involved data the victims didn't even know was on the system.

The full report:

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/resources/security/databreachreport.pdf