funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bad Advice: U.S. Urged to Go On Offense in Cyber War

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:43:57 -0800

Date sent:              Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:24:18 -0700
From:                   Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () gmail com>

The United States needs to do more to develop an offensive cyberwar
capability rather than just focus on defending its networks from attack,
says the chairman of the House cybersecurity subcommittee.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/sep/29/us-urged-to-go-on-offense-i
n-cyberwar/

So, we're heading for Mutually Assured DDoS?

(Heck, why should they have learned anything in twenty years?  I remember the
first call for proposals on how to use viruses as offensive weapons--as if they
weren't offensive enough.  Met with deafening silence from the AV research
community.  Was later appalled to find that at least three $50K contracts were let
for first stage proposals, and at least one got $500K to go to the seccond stage.
These were, pretty much by definition, people who didn't know what they were
talking about.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
We peer so suspiciously at each other that we cannot see that we
Canadians are standing on a mountaintop of human wealth, freedom
and privilege.               - Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Dec. 31, 1980
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/