funsec mailing list archives

How to ensure the market crashes

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:21:36 -0800

I'm sorry, but this *is* relevant to security: you can either file it under bad social
engineering, or really, really stupid ways to deal with an emergency.

Even psychologists can tell you this doesn't work.  The way to get people to buy
into a risky proposition is to reduce the apparent adverse consequences for the
position you want people to take, not to increase the negative effects on the
other side.  And we know (we have just had yet another example in the United
Airlines "old news" case) that the "market" reacts very, very badly to rumours.

(No, I'm not interested in the politics of it.  It's just brinksmanship of the very
worst kind.)

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/09/23/bailout-push.html

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
                Good judgment comes from experience.
                Experience comes from bad judgment.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/