funsec mailing list archives

Re: Mozilla lost months of Reporter server data

From: Reed Loden <reed () reedloden com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:29:59 -0500

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 22:44:37 +0300 (EEST)
Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:

Old, but not covered here yet:

"Mozilla has admitted to losing months of valuable user data when a
member of staff accidentally formatted a server.

Yeah, it was a mistake. Everybody makes them. He took the high road on
this one, and it's long since been handled with measures put in place
to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Please make sure you read Mark's follow-up to his original post at
http://xb95.livejournal.com/617841.html so that you have the full story.

Also, please note that reporter data isn't crash data or anything that
critical. It's just sites that may render incorrectly or have some
minor issue (a lot of it is due to bad UA sniffing, sadly). The data is
used in aggregate form to see if there are any big sites that are having
problems. It has absolutely nothing to do with performance.

(disclaimer: I work for Mozilla; thoughts above are my own and are not
my employer's; blah blah blah)

~reed

--
Reed Loden - <reed () reedloden com>