funsec mailing list archives

Re: New attack kit targets bag of ActiveX bugs

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:15:10 +0000 (UTC)

: The bad guys are now doing what I was worried about which is to rattle
: the door a bunch of times to see which insecure ActiveX control will let
: them inside someone's computer.  Many ActiveX controls also can't be
: automatically updated by vendors with security fixes.  It's up to users
: to learn about and manually install patches.
:
: One solution to the problem is to have an industry-wide list of known
: bad controls that is published on the Internet.  Security products can
: then use this kill list to disable bad ActiveX controls which are hidden
: away on many of our computers.

OSVDB.org tracks the CLSID associated with ActiveX controls when possible,
even though the field that contains it isn't visible on many entries
(searching for a CLSID will find it if we have it).

One of our wish-list items is exactly what you describe above,
auto-generated from our database nightly.