funsec mailing list archives

Companies struggle as Safari pops up on networks

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 14:42:30 +0300 (EEST)

From PC World:

"Network administrators are complaining that Apple's recent decision to offer users its Safari Web browser as part of
an iTunes and QuickTime update has made their lives harder, as they struggle to remove the software from PCs on their
networks.

For Cody Wilson, the trouble began a few weeks ago, when he noticed that Safari had popped up as a download option with
his Apple Software Update, the program that is used to update iTunes and QuickTime."

And later:
Administrators may see more support calls from users who have installed Safari without realizing it, said Eric
Schultze, chief technology officer with Shavlik. "I could see administrators saying, 'I approved a standard desktop
image, now [Safari is] showing up. I need to remove it.'"

Safari? Is it something I can eat?

More at
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144162/companies_struggle_as_safari_pops_up_on_networks.html

Juha-Matti