funsec mailing list archives

Re: Congress Alarmed At Cyber-Vulnerability Of Power Grid

From: Jason Lewis <jlewis () packetnexus com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 15:36:26 -0400

This reminds me of a Red Team scenario...totally fictious...maybe.

Red Team goes to Military base for pen test.  They are told to test the
network and ignore the open wireless AP in the office of the base
commander.  WAP is directly connected to base network and accessible
from outside fence of said base.  Red Team tests WAP for basic network
connectivity and notes that this is a major security hole and makes any
other testing pointless.  Recommendation is to remove WAP or at least
lock it down and attempt some basic security.  A year passes and the Red
Team is back for the yearly assessment.  WAP is still in commanders
office with the open access.

If any entity is truly attempting to make things more secure...these
constraints have to go.  The biggest problem with the above Red Team is
the lack of authority to start punishing people for security breaches.
It will take a huge embarassing incident for that to change...and even
then...the base commander will have the last word.  "Don't include the
WAP in my office"  It seems a lot of government agencies have this
problem, which is sad.

Matt Jonkman wrote:
I may (or may not) have done a vulnerability assessment at TVA a few
years ago. Wasn't very productive. Let's just say that the constraints
for what we could and couldn't test were.... ummm... preposterous.

But the routers were fine... :)

Matt