funsec mailing list archives

Re: Which retailer has been compromised now?

From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong () pobox com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:49:32 -0400

I wonder if each member of the Massachusetts Bankers Association has the
data to run stats on recently canceled cards (or cards showing illegal
activity, cards where someone called in to report unauthorized charges,
etc.) that might show the common denominator.

I know from my card statements that some companies use a UID to denote a
common vendor and another to show different retail locations. They might
identify a breach faster than the company effected if there was a common
system used across card issuers and such blind or anonymous information
shared regionally and even nationally.