funsec mailing list archives

Spy recorder catches teacher being bad in the classroom

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:49:29 -0500

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=5983509

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A teacher was caught on tape insulting her students. Now,
more parents are coming forward with complaints against the same teacher at
Memorial Elementary School.

When Diana <http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=5981126>
Mijares sent her four-year-old daughter to school with a tape recorder in
her bag, what she captured on that tape seemed almost implausible to her.

Recording of teacher: "Everybody understand that? You're mean to me, so I
get to be mean to you. Y'all are just stupid kids. I swear to God."

  _____

The Houston Federation of Teachers calls into question whether the recording
is even valid.

"It's OK to just go 'get' the teacher," said spokesperson Gayle Fallon.

HISD does have a policy which restricts tape recorders from being used in
class without teacher approval. But our legal analyst says parents have a
right to know what's going on in their children's classrooms.

"(The policy) wasn't meant to apply to a parent putting a tape recorder into
a student's backpack," said KTRK Legal Analyst Joel Androphy.

As for Mijares, she says, policy or not, she would do it all over again.

"I'm glad that I did, because now the parents realize what's really going
on," she said. "Now they have answers."