funsec mailing list archives

Cyberattack from the Pakistani government?

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:28:16 -0500

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9877614-7.html?tag=nefd.top

February 24, 2008 12:17 PM PST

YouTube blames Pakistan network for 2-hour outage

Posted by Greg
<http://www.news.com/8300-10784_3-7.html?authorId=116&tag=author>  Sandoval

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080224/youtube.jpg

Updated, 9:40 p.m. to add YouTube's explanation of what caused outage.

YouTube suffered a two-hour long, system-wide outage on Sunday that the
company said was triggered by a network based in Pakistan.

"For about two hours, traffic to YouTube was routed according to erroneous
Internet Protocols," said YouTube spokesperson Ricardo Reyes in a statement
"Many users around the world could not access our site. We have determined
that the source of these events was a network in Pakistan. We are
investigating and working with others in the Internet community to prevent
this from happening again."

The BBC reported <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7262071.stm>  that
Pakistan's attempts to block access to YouTube may have inadvertently caused
the outage. Earlier in the day, Pakistan's shutoff access to YouTube inside
the country in response to the posting of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad,
which have outraged many Muslims.

.