funsec mailing list archives

Re: Not Again: Friendly 'Worms' Could Spread Software Fixes

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:45:28 -0800

Date sent:              Fri, 15 Feb 2008 23:42:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:                   Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net>

Subject:              [funsec] Not Again: Friendly 'Worms' Could Spread Software Fixes

Well, I'd have to side with Fred: there is nothing *inherently* wrong with the idea,
although it certainly is problematic, particularly in the complex network
environment we currently work with.  Vesselin Bontchev probably did the most
detailed treatment
(http://www.people.frisk-software.com/~bontchev/papers/goodvir.html) and
generally isn't in enthusiastic favour ...

But ...

Microsoft researchers are hoping to use "information epidemics" to
distribute software patches more efficiently.

Yeah, OK, I'd have real problems with that, for a number of reasons ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick
themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.   - W. Churchill
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm