funsec mailing list archives

Re: E-mail gaffe leads to billion-dollar news leak

From: robert_mcmillan () idg com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:49:44 -0800

Huh. Did the law firm forget to put that vital disclaimer "If this isn't
for you, then don't read it" tag at the end of each email in six

My thoughts exactly. This blog (written by a lawyer I know) says that they
probably aren't binding. No big surprise there, I guess.

http://spamnotes.com/2008/02/06/eli-lillys-travels-down-autocomplete-street.aspx

However, this was surprising:

http://druganddevicelaw.blogspot.com/2008/02/it-wasnt-peppers-fault-berenson.html

We don't know anything about journalistic propriety, so we picked up the
phone and called Alex Berenson at the Times. We asked him whether a
misdirected e-mail from Pepper to Sidley & Austin had prompted his
front-page story.

It did not. Berenson did receive a mis-directed e-mail from Pepper, but
that e-mail did not contain a detailed description of the status of the
settlement talks. Berenson had known independently about the settlement
talks for some time, and he obtained the details he published in the Times
from sources other than Pepper.